What is breast ultrasonography?
It is a method of imaging with the use of ultrasound. Breast ultrasonography enables the evaluation of the structure of the mammary gland, the determination of the tissues the gland is made of, the occurrence of lesions and the evaluation of lymph nodes under the arms. This examination can also be performed in pregnant and breast-feeding women.
What are the indications to perform breast ultrasonography?
- breast pain
- palpable breast lesions
- discharge from the nipples
- follow-up examinations of the previously diagnosed benign lesions
- occurrence of the breast cancer in family history
- using hormone replacement therapy
- This examination should be performed between 1st and 10th day of the menstrual cycle.
- Do not use deodorants, balms and any other cosmetics under the arm on the day of the test.
You should take the results of the previous ultrasonographies, if such examinations were performed earlier, with you to the examination.