A few days before the test
- Do not drink alcohol for 2-3 days before the test.
- Refrain from drinking coffee and tea for at least 12 hours before the test.
- Try to eliminate the sources of stress as much as possible.
On the day of the test
- The patient should be on an empty stomach, meaning that no meals can be consumed for about 12 hours before the test.
- Drink some water in the morning, but not more than a glass.
- Where possible, the test should be performed before you take your morning dose of medicines, unless the doctor instructs otherwise.
- Blood should be collected in the morning.
- Before the test, the patient should remain at rest (in a sitting position) for 10-15 minutes. Physical exercise, including moderate efforts, such as walking or climbing stairs, may alter the values of the laboratory tests.